Saturday, November 29, 2008

Hiking and Happy Hour..

Since we didn’t hike on Wednesday, eight of us went on a hike this morning to the Usury Mountains, a five-minute drive from the resort. We went up Pass Mountain trail but we were only going as far as the 'saddle', a 2-mile hike (4 miles return). The sun came peaking through the clouds once in a while and the temperature was in the low 70sF; a good temperature for hiking. This trail has a lot of switchbacks as you go up the side of the mountain and you get a really great view of the valley. On a clear day, I'm sure you can see for hundreds of miles. We were back around 1 pm and had lunch. Later on, David took a power nap while I watched TV. I was just about ready to fall asleep on the sofa when he got up and said he was ready to go for coffee. Figures!

At 5 pm we went to Happy Hour out on the patio where everyone brings food to share. After everyone had eaten, they turned on the karaoke machine. Of course, David and I just watched. It was a lot of fun. It’s the great camaraderie in this park that makes us come back here. The party ended at 9 pm and everyone went home. It was a good end to a fun day.

This is the front end of our hiking group on a switchback above us. I don't know if there is something wrong with my camera because my pictures are a little fuzzy.

We sat around for a little while before heading back down the mountain.
Micheline, Michel & David..



David and me..


This is the whole group except for me. I took the picture.

We took a different route down, following the wash instead of the trail. Since we were in the wash, there was a rock wall on either side of us. You see those some small caves in the rock. It looked like animals were using them as dens; someone thought they could be Javelinas. The clue was that there was some scat (poop) on the ground just outside of these holes.

Here's a funny piece of rock carved out by Mother Nature.
David standing it front of that rock.
I thought this was kind of neat. You can see a Saguaro cactus through this large hole in the rock face.

1 comment:

Trent and Teresa said...

It looks like you are settling in to your winter routine nicely. Please keep posting, because we enjoy every word, even the ordinary stuff lets us know what life will be like when it is our turn ! I have been shoveling snow the last couple of days, so I look in envy at your photos, where folks are hiking in shorts. Have a great day....Trent