Sunday, January 3, 2010

January 2 to 3, 2010

We were up early for the omelette breakfast put on by the Resort. It is my favourite meal and they only charge $5.00 for omelette with your choice of ingredients, sausage, hash browns, orange juice and coffee. I don't think you can do any better anywhere else - except perhaps at home. Others must have felt the same way as us as there was a very large turnout for the breakfast and all the tables were full - of course it was outside, where else.

The weather forecast was for 70* F so shorts and t-shirt were definitely the order of the day. After breakfast I went hiking with five other friends on the Dutchman Trail. It is about 15 miles east of Apache Junction and then 7 miles up a very dusty, washboardy gravel road. Being a Saturday there were many hikers out and about and lots of families with children of all ages. The hike wasn't hard at all but it was almost 3 miles to the turnaround spot. On a previous visit to this area we had visited an old mine portal that mined turquoise. When I thought we were close to that spot I went climbing up the hill looking for the opening. It was the wrong spot so I started my descent back to the trail - I slipped and put my hand back to brace my fall and placed my hand right on a barrel cactus. Ouch!! Only about 10 or 12 of the needles stayed in my hand and I was able to pull them out pretty easily but it was definitely painful. You would think after the episode I reported in my last blog that I'd be a little more careful. Guess not :-) It didn't take long for the bleeding to stop and, even though my hand swelled up, I was able to continue the hike without much discomfort.

the view from the start of the hike after we reached the 'saddle' - the rock formation in the distance right in the middle of the picture, was our destination.
snack time - formation is called "Three Bears"
This is called Miner's Needle because of the hole in the rock - I'm not sure why
Picture as proof we made it
Lise wasn't on the hike as she was at softball practice. Her games start this coming week and some of them are on hike days so she won't be able to make many of them if it doesn't look like we wouldn't get back on time. If it is a good hike (and they all are) I am supposed to go out again on another day, with Lise, so she can experience it for herself. I hope my legs hold out!

2 comments:

Manumanums said...

FYI - I'm still checking in on your blog! Would love to be where it is sunny and warm....hopefully in early April! :-) Do you plan to stay at the same camp site every year?

Cross Country Adventures said...

We're glad to hear you're still following our blog. Haven't had one of your great updates lately. Soon? :-)
At the moment it seems that we will be spending the winters at this resort in Apache Junction. So much of what we like to do is in close proximity to this location. However, if we decide to explore in other areas then we would surely look for a place in the new area. For now this is home. It's pretty well the same thing in the summers although we'll be spending a few weeks with our son and his family in Chilliwack, BC before heading to our Ottawa camp site.
Maybe we'll see you one of these days?

David and Lise