Saturday, February 7, 2009

February 2 to 6, 2009

On Wednesday Lise joined the hiking group to hike up Fish Creek Canyon. It was about 3 miles round trip and considered a fairly difficult climb. But, as you can tell from these pictures, greater risk equals greater reward. The small waterfalls and the pond are like an oasis in the desert; and the mountain sheep across the pond, are all worth the effort. Naturally I was very disappointed not to have gone on that hike. But we are apparently going to try it again later in the year, so all is not lost ;-).
how great a place is this to stop for lunch -


and with uninvited, but welcome guests across the pond;
(or perhaps we're the ones that were uninvited)!


hiking isn't just walking on a trail :-)

the hiking group (they're all from our park)


I didn't go on the hike as my knee was still stiff and sore from the previous two hikes so I thought I'd rest it. So, while they were out enjoying themselves in the canyon, I rode my bicycle over 20 miles on the city streets of Apache Junction and Mesa. It was quite a bit longer than I intended to ride and I got a bit carried away. However, after I limped back to the park my recovery time was quite short so I was wimping out for nothing :-).
I think Lise had the best of it this time and I can't wait to experience that trip for myself.
On Friday, we decided to visit the Arizona - Sonora Desert Museum, near Tucson, Arizona. It was about a two hour drive, and apparently an all day event so we left fairly early. It is a zoo, natural history museum and botanical garden, all in one place. There were animals native to the area placed in enclosed, but natural desert settings. It was an enjoyable day spent walking around this 21 acre site. The highlight was a demonstration of free flight by a covy of Harris' Hawks. If I hadn't been so caught up in the demonstration, particularly when the hawks would fly right over my head, or between Lise and I at shoulder level, I would have gotten some great pictures. Can you imagine a picture of a hawk heading right toward you and about 5 feet away. What a picture that would make!!
Anyway, it was a great day and we capped it off by visiting Grimaldi's Pizza when we arrived back in the Phoenix area. They make their pizzas in coal fired brick ovens. Great pizza.
We heard from some Yukon friends yesterday (Friday). They are flying down to Phoenix next Sunday and will be renting a Class C RV for about two weeks and staying in our park. I don't know what the others will be doing but I do know there'll be lots of golf for me in the near future. Art said he hadn't been golfing since he was down visiting us last year. And, as you know, I'm not one to turn down an opportunity to get a little golf in. We're looking forward to seeing them and they're using this trip as a dry run to see if they want to spend their winters down here or in the Yukon - this needs a decision? Actually, spending winters in the Yukon isn't so bad. We've certainly spent many winters there.

No comments: